I’ve met lots of interesting people during my years with AOB Bangladesh, but without a doubt my favorite group is our apprentices.
Each year AOB welcomes student-apprentices to live and work with us in Bangladesh. As the students work full time in AOB projects, they live together in intentional community. They observe the culture, participate in ministries, make friends, journal experiences, and ask questions. They see God use their gifts and skills and interests. They depend on God in their weakness, and they experience His strength. They receive vocational and spiritual guidance.
Note this diverse yet abbreviated list of projects in which apprentices have participated:
- Community development: drama and arts camps, sports camps, English camps
- Education, formal and non-formal: teaching in class, physical education, music, room design, computer classes, English conversation clubs, learning games and object lessons
- Heart House handicrafts design, marketing, cost analysis
- Media production: PowerPoint presentations, radio programs, movie-production
- Engineering: electrical repairs, prosthesis design, construction
- Medical shadowing, practicums, residencies, inventory analysis, physiotherapy, play therapy
We are amazed at how this discipleship program has borne fruit. Alumni of the program are serving God and loving people around the world. Several have returned and joined our staff. They happily acknowledge that their time here was a catalyst on their journeys.
In return, we career workers experience a rebirth. The apprentices’ energy, creativity, and commitment reminds us of our own “beginnings” – the ways God called each of us to this work – and we are renewed.
We thank God for His work in and through our apprentices.
For more information on how YOU can apprentice with AOB, click here.